If you’re experiencing one or more of these 10 problems, chances are your data isn’t ready to support meaningful decision making…
1. Your data extracts or reports take more than 1 minute to run.
Solution: Start with data base tuning, or check out cloud database hosting, like Microsoft Azure.
2. The SQL queries in your reports look like a tangled mess.
Solution: Use dimensional data modeling to simplify queries. Move messy logic upstream as you load the data warehouse.
3. You can’t combine your data sources into one report or analysis.
Solution: Conformed dimensions standardize values across systems so you can easily link your data sets together.
4. You need an analyst to help figure out what data is stored where.
Solution: Keep track of your data flows by using a self-documenting markup language for business intelligence (see BIML).
5. You need help from IT to figure out how to connect all your data sources.
Solution: Consolidate your data into a single technology platform, creating a single source of truth.
6. Your report SQL queries are full of cleanup tasks (CASE, COALESCE, ISNULL, etc.)
Solution: Move the cleanup process into your data warehouse’s ETL (extract, transform, load) process.
7. Data that spans departments takes more than 10 minutes to combine.
Solution: Centralize and automate raw data collection into a single repository (data lake) before feeding it into your data warehouse.
8. You frequently argue over which system/department has the right number.
Solution: Create accountability with a data governance process that assigns ownership to key data sets.
9. You’re paranoid that your data is inaccurate.
Solution: Automate the monitoring process to detect missing data, invalid data, and out of control processes.
10. The thought of your key data person quitting gives you a panic attack.